Wednesday, May 7, 2008

First Finished Object!

Behold! My first finished object! And it's not anywhere near the first knitting project I started. I got the yarn on May 1 and finished the project on May 6 -- wow! It was very fast working on #17 needles and the yarn did all the color changes for me. I cast on 140 stitches (I think...) so it looked like a really odd mini-dust ruffle as I was working, then burst out as a vertically striped scarf at the very end.

My curiosity about the yarn was piqued by a Ravelry forum post about a sale on Be Sweet Magic Ball. The yarn itself is a lot of fun -- a wonderful variety of colors and textures that change as you work. If you're knitting from a center-pull ball, you don't know what's coming next, so it starts to have the same effect as reading a great page-turner -- you don't want to put down your needles because you're dying to see what happens next. In addition, Be Sweet is a very cool company. The yarn is hand spun and dyed by women in South Africa under a job creation program that has offered opportunity in an economically depressed rural region.

The colorway I used for my scarf is called Shakespeare. I have two more in my stash called Quarry Stones and Wild Berries. I'm thinking I may do a scarf with horizontal stripes with one and a hat with the other.

No comments: